Internet Marketing Solutions
If you want to get noticed online, then you need to be ranked on the search engines in the top twenty or thirty results for the keywords that best target your business and industry.
But, it's preferable to be in the top 10 on natural or organic search results of the major search engines, Google, Yahoo and MSN.
Free Internet Marketing Strategies
The following provides some free and cost effective Internet marketing strategies you can implement to help increase your search engine rankings.
Some of the things you can do for free that enhance your search engine visibility:
- Build your website methodically and design your site for users not search engines. Your site has to be search engine friendly in order for the search engines to be able to properly spider/index it. But, people are the ones who will be viewing your site and making a purchasing decision based on what they see, so the site has to be appealing to people.
Here are some tips for designing your site for people. Make your text readable. The web standard for font size is 12 points. Anything smaller will make your content hard to read. Don't use decorative fonts that are hard to interpret, and make sure whatever font color you pick is readable as well (black is the preferred text color). Make your content interesting and close with a call to action.
Use relevant, fast-loading graphics that help communicate your message. Make sure that any technologies you use to enhance your website don't grossly increase downtime. And make sure that the design throughout your site is consistent, so visitors don't lose your message because of design conflicts.
Make your site navigation simple and clear. This makes it easier for people to get the information they need and for the search engines to spider/index your site.
- Search engine optimization. Even though you're building the site for people, your site also has to be search engine friendly. Here are some some search engine friendly techniques you can implement that won't affect your sites appeal to people:
- Use descriptive meta-tags, in particular the title tag because most search engines index the title tag and make it one of the most important factors in the ranking process.
- Analyze your anchor text of your internal links. According to Wikipedia, the anchor text or link label is the visible, clickable text in a hyperlink. Some search engines use the anchor text to determine what your page is about. Try to use your focused keywords in anchor text.
- Name your pages with keywords. Example: if one of your products is a red widget, when you create the page describing the product call it “red-widget.html”. Then, when you link it, “red widget” could get more relevancy weight with some search engines.
- Use your domain to link to your home page from your website navigation (e.g., http://seasidecapitalgroup.com instead of just index.html). This adds page rank to your home page.
- Get listed with StumbleUpon and other social bookmarking sites. StumbleUpon is a social website that allows its users a new way to experience the Internet. Instead of searching for specific items on search engines like Google, Stumble Upon users only have to tag specific personal or professional interests and then channel surf the web by simply clicking on a button on StumbleUpon tool bar.
To see if your site is listed, go to http://reviews.stumbleupon.com/. If it isn't, download the StumbleUpon toolbar, go to your website, then and tag and review it by clicking the blue thumbs up graphic and filling out the form.
If you have videos on your website, submit them to YouTube. Squidoo is another social marketing site on which you build a "lens" that links off to your site. There are lots of others, but this will get you started.